Home | Blogs | Bankruptcy Document Checklist

Bankruptcy Document Checklist

*All requested documents are required prior to filing your bankruptcy petition.

*Please SEND documents to rtran@tranbankruptcylaw.com

*If you must provide hardcopies, please DO NOT staple your documents.

*The best way to provide documents is in PDF form. You may email (to rtran@tranbankruptcylaw.com), scan, fax, or use a flash drive. We also accept documents by cloud services such as Dropbox and Google Drive. However, if you need to provide hard copies, we will accept them in person or by mail.

_____ 1) Creditors. A lists of all your creditors, with account numbers and the amount owed.

_____ a) Judgment Liens. A list of all judgment liens against real and personal property. 

_____ b) Priority Debt – A list of all taxes owed as well as debts owed to the government or government agency.

_____ c) List of all student loans.

_____ d) List of debts legally owed to friends and family members.

_____ e) If you paid any creditor a total of over $600 In the last 90 days, please provide the name of the creditor and the total amount you paid them.

_____ f) If you made payments to friends or family members for loans that you borrowed, please provide the name and total amount you paid them.

_____ 2) Drivers License and Social Security Card. You must have an original Driver’s License and Social Security Card. The Social Security Card must NOT be laminated. Please email a picture of your Driver’s License and Social Security Card.
_____ 3) Pay Statements. A photocopy of each and every pay stub received by you during the last 7 months.  (If you are married or live with a significant other, you must also provide these – regardless of whether they are also filing for bankruptcy). Please continue sending in updated pay stubs until your case is actually filed.

_____ a) If you or your spouse receive any other forms of income such as Social Security, Pension, Unemployment, etc. provide some documentation of the amount received in EACH of the last 7 months in the form of an award letter, unemployment stubs and 7 months bank statements showing the income. 

_____ b) If you or your spouse own a business or are self-employed, please provide a month-by-month accounting of the business income and expenses (ie profit and loss statements) so that we can determine what you brought home as your personal income in each of the last 7 months.

_____ c) If you do not have all your pay stubs, contact your employer.  They may be able to provide a printout or summary showing each pay stub. Summaries MUST show the taxes taken out of each pay stub. NO EXCEPTIONS.

_____ 4) Tax Returns. A photocopy of your Federal and State tax returns, including W2s, for the last 2 years.

_____ a) If you own a business, please provide 4 years of personal and business tax returns.  

_____ b) If you do not have your tax returns, contact your tax preparer, the IRS or the state taxing authority.  They can provide you with a copy of prior year returns.  If you have not filed all your state or federal returns up to current, you must do so immediately.

_____ 5) Recent Mortgage Statement. The most recent mortgage statement showing the principal balance on the home.  If you do not receive the statement, please contact your mortgage company.

_____ a) If your property taxes are not included in the mortgage, you will need to provide the property tax bill.

_____ b) If your homeowners insurance is not included in the mortgage, you will need to provide the insurance policy including the declaration page.

_____ c) If you pay Homeowner’s Association Dues (HOA), you will need to provide a statement showing amount owed.

_____ d) If you are living in a mobile home, you will need the provide the value of property in the form of an appraisal or an assessment of the property from a reliable source (ie a real estate broker)

_____ 6) Rental Agreement. If you are currently renting, you will need to provide the copy of the rental lease.
_____ 7) Rental Property. Please provide the mortgage statement, property tax bill and homeowners insurance for that property as well as 7 months proof of rental income in the form of a lease, copies of checks or bank statements.
_____ 8) Other Real Property (e.g. Land, Burial Plots, Timeshares, etc). Provide the statement showing the lien information (if applicable), the address, and the value of the property.
_____ 9) Vehicles. Provide the most recent statement showing the principal balance and monthly payment for financed vehicles.

_____ a) Provide your car insurance declarations page.

_____ b) If you have a car that is paid in full, you will need to provide the vehicle certificate of title.

_____ 10) Retirement (e.g 401k, Pensions, IRA, etc). Statement showing the current value of the account AS WELL AS a statement showing the balance from 12 months prior.
_____ 11) Bank Statements. 7 months of statements for all accounts with your name on it, even if the account has a zero balance, you are only a cosigner or guardian, and/or you closed it in the last 7 months, etc.
_____ 12) Priority Debts (e.g. taxes, spousal/child support, government fines, etc). Provide statements for all priority debts showing the amount you owe
_____ 13) Cosigned Property and Accounts. If you have co-signed for any property/financial items (ie cars, bank accounts, etc), you will need to provide a statement showing the value of the property as well as the name and address of the co-signer.
_____ 14) Divorce. If you have been divorced within the last 3 years, please provide divorce documents.

_____ a) If you are currently paying or receiving child support, you will need to provide documents showing the monthly amount in the form of court documents if settled through court or bank statements. 

_____ 15) Lawsuits and Administrative Proceedings. If you are involved in any lawsuits, court proceedings, government proceedings or any other administrative proceeding, please provide documents showing case number, courthouse location, attorney information and any other information identifying the case and the parties involved.
_____ 16) Garnishment, Bank Levies, Repossessions, Foreclosures etc. If you have an active or pending garnishment, levy, or repossession, you will need to provide the fax number and contact information for the other party’s attorney, the sheriff’s office enforcing the collection, your payroll department for garnishments, your bank for bank levies, and/or the creditor that is repossessing your vehicle. For Foreclosures, you need to provide the fax number and contact information for the trustee preforming the foreclosure sale and your mortgage company. Please also provide fax number and contact information for anyone else you deem appropriate to stop the Garnishment, Bank Levy Repossession or Foreclosure.

_____ a) Foreclosures. If you have any foreclosures in the last year, or pending foreclosures, provide the last mortgage statements received and any foreclosure documents (ie Notice of Sale).

_____ b) Repossessions. If you have had any repossessions or surrendered any property (ie cars, RV’s), please provide the statement showing the amount of the deficiency of the item/property.

_____ 17) Closed Financial Accounts. If you have closed any financial accounts in the last year (ie 401k, bank accounts), please provide the last statement showing the $0 balance.
_____ 18) Sold Property. If you sold any property (e.g. cars, houses, real estate, personal and real property) outside business transactions in the last 10 years, please provide the following information: name and address of the person whom it was sold to, date property was sold, how much money was received and what you did with the money.
_____ 19) Life Insurance statement for all types of policies, including policies provided by your employers.